Wednesday, August 27, 2014

City Views, Country Dreams

Good afternoon from New York on a hot and humid August day.

I regret to report that the fellows continue the drilling on the facade of the apartment building I call home.  I keep hoping that this project will soon be finished.

Some days when the drilling is focused in a place very near my apartment I can find a sense of sanctuary in Central Park.


Since it is late August, the Park has a very overgrown, blowsy appearance.  In some areas, there is even a wildness about the overgrown shrubs, lawns and drying leaves.  It seems a bit crispy.

However, there are still plenty of places to just sit and enjoy the drill-free space.


The Park's late summer flower show is very different from its springtime version.


The shades of green are mature greens, like the darker greens of vegetables that are good for you.  The yellow flowers that now bloom where springtime daffodils bloomed look so different.


Little yellow berries are turning a shiny red.


The Lake's algae has an unpleasant green shade.  I would not find a rowboat to be a romantic voyage at this time of the year.


Invisible insects or other animals are nibbling at some leaves.


These pretty little orchidy blooms look so delicate with the back lit ferns behind them.


As I was looking at the very tall ferns growing in the Shakespeare Garden, I heard voices and looked up to see a group of folks gathering at an entrance to this Garden.  A wedding was about to take place there.


There were a few other folks, like myself, who were not wedding guests but were just enjoying a stroll.


I thought that these multi-colored leaves were quite lovely.  I think that most of them were some variety of coleus.


Here's another view of the leafy expanse.


You all can tell from these pictures that the dominant color in the Garden was green.


Lots of leggy, stalky plants and flowers on display in this show.


I thought that the colors of these leaves seemed iridescent.  I like the accent of those few yellow flowers, too. 


When I walked back home from the Park, I passed by the grounds of The Museum of Natural History.  I liked the look of the white bike against the black railings.


The prior photographs were taken some weeks ago, on the same date at the "Super Moon" appeared in its grand fullness.  I could not resist taking a walk outside just after sunset, to see the moon rise over the treetops of Central Park.


Yes, I know my photographs are not good, but they do give you all an idea of how this natural phenomenon matched up against the competing electric street lights and building lights and vehicular lights along West 72nd Street.


I took those photographs in the same area where I have taken photographs of the Thanksgiving Day Parade.  I noticed quite a few other moon gazers out on the sidewalk with me.

The next couple of pictures were taken more recently, to show a very gaudy street planter's bounty.  


The large motorcycle parked next to one of these planters gives you an idea of the scale of that planter.  The planters are actually there for security purposes, to prevent a vehicle from crashing into a certain Barnes & Noble book store across the street from Union Square Park.  This is another example of a city view.


As I near the end of this post, I wanted to show you all my almost finished current knitting project.  It is another of the fair isle tubular knit cowls.  I've used many shades of green, and blue-green, with a touch of ivory and cream throughout.


When I saw this photograph of length of the color progressions, it reminded me of seeing a display of men's shirts, with checkered ties.  Do you all see that, too?


As I have been typing these words, drilling has been ongoing.  It's now just about 4 p.m., and so there's only about an hour more to go of the insistent percussion.  Perhaps it's time for another little walk outdoors.

Thank you all so much for your visits and comments.  I am looking forward to seeing the coming change of season here in New York, and promise to share my impressions with you.

25 comments:

  1. I truly believe there is no city as beautiful and exciting as New York City.

    The park must be lovely in autumn. The last time I was in New York City it was right after the tree was coming down in Rockefeller Centre.

    Blessings!

    Winter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Frances, end of August and you are still captured in that horrible noise cage. Have you ear plugs or can you plug on to your computer with ear phones and listen to music instead? I so hope for you that it will be over quickly now. Wonderful impressions of late summer in Central Park, thank you so much. I love that knitting of 'men's shirt with checkered ties', so true! You are a star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beautiful photographs of Central Park make it hard to imagine you are in the heart of such a busy city. How lovely to escape the noise there. Beautiful colours in your latest knitting Frances. I hope the drilling comes to an end soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful green space Central Park is, for you and other NewYorkers and visitors. I'm sure it helps keep you sane in a noisy city.
    Your knitting is beautiful and yes just like a pile of men's shirts! I often look at the clothes in our cupboards and she a certain range of colours that is particular to me and to Cliff.
    I hope you get your quiet apartment back soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Frances,

    How you must be at the end of your tether now with the incessant drilling. We too are experiencing a similar situation with people putting in new drains in the apartment adjacent to ours. It is just like being at the dentist for days and days on end isn't it?!

    But, wonderful that you have the glorious Central Park in which to escape. It is all so fulsome now at summer's end. A little sad to seethe Japanese Anemones flowering since they usually do herald autumn.

    Yes, we see exactly what you mean about the shirt and tie effect. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, it must be hard to be driven out of your home by constant noise.
    your beautiful photos, particularly the purply-blue shrubs, reminded me of some of your knitting patterns...Fair-isle plants?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for yet another leisurely walk; just what I needed! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will the drilling ever end?
    The green algae looks vile
    the anemones look delightful.
    So much going on in our busy city.
    Yes, the planters by Union Square are rather lovely - security concerns or not.
    Hoping to see you soon.

    ox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was hoping to hear that the drilling was over by now! I do hope you will soon be relieved of this incessant intrusion.

    The Park is looking stunning and is beautifully planted. I am so glad you have a refuge - food for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nightmare that you are still having to endure such noise pollution! At least you have the park but I truly don't know how you bear it. I guess I'm just too used to country quiet!

    All that green though, that could be the country, and such pretty flowers ... I do hope you can continue to enjoy them before the first frosts for the right reasons, i.e. not as an escape!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that your nerves are not too frayed with all that noise. You must find great solace in Central Park.

    I think those pink flowers are Japanese anemones? I have as much trouble spelling anemones as I do growing them. All my neighbours have heaps of them but they do not like my garden one bit.

    Your knitting is wondrous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed the Green Tour, great mix of patterns, colours and shapes. Yesterday I went to see if the bulbs were in the DIY store to buy some, too early. I wandered through the store and was attracted to the huge colour chart display of paint colours, hundreds of tiny paint shades on small square samples. I couldn't resist taking samples in greens, browns, burgundy, reds and oranges , the colours of Autumn. Just the same as you are showing!

    Every colour had a name, some very amusing, I think your green water shade should be named ..green pea soup. Now the shades of your knitting blend wonderfully, yes I see the shirt and tie, clever pattern. I want to make a patchwork of just men's shirt fabric, recycled from charity shops.

    Enjoyed this post. Ear plugs work wonders or headphones and some music or audio book. Getting outdoors a better solution, can't beat nature. I loved the striped leaves. Best wishes, millyx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your comment that these are "mature greens like the vegetables which are good for you!" Made me smile. And your knitting is gorgeous. I knit, but you KNIT. Must take you ages and ages, but what a fabulous result. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. Overgrown and a bit blowsy describes this here on the farm just now (including me.) Oh so ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely walk in that wonderful green space, Frances, thank you for taking us with you. I loved the image of the city, with the blue sky behind and the motorbike in front. Your knitting is beautiful, such a perfect combination of colours and patterns. I do hope you get peace and quiet in your apartment soon....what a long time that drilling has been going on!
    Wishing you a happy week.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was lovely, Frances. I very much enjoyed my glimpse of 'what lies beneath' Central Park, where insects nibble, algae creep and blooms go over. They added a Lynchian note to the more upbeat activities! I also loved the photos of the super moon which were so evocative. I don't love that you're still suffering with building repair noises. You'll be glad when that's finished! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking at all those pretty places, full of greenery and flowers in such a variety, I completely forget that you live in New York! Where are the high buildings?:DD
    I wish you a calm, quiet (at last!) and warm September, Frances!
    Thank you for this long, beautiful walk!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm beginning to wonder what it is exactly that they are doing to your facade. Will you reap any benefit from this endurance test? I think I spotted some Inulas. They had them at Great Dixter. Very attractive to Peacock butterflies there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sympathies with you my friend on all that drilling; thank heaven for the Park. The flowers are stunning, the colours God given and your knitting is fabulous; wish I could do as good. The super moon was something else, it lit up our garden like daylight. Love your pictures of it. Hopefully there will be an end to the drilling very soon. O xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I love the walk with you...It´s so green and this is not the way I think of NY! It´s so beautiful! Yours pictures are so great too...
    Thanks Frances for your sweet comment on my blog, I really appreciate it!
    Take care, have a lovely week...
    Love,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Frances,
    It must be so lovely to have Central Park on your doorstep. It's such a delightful place. Sorry to hear about the drilling - at least you know it will end one day! As usual your knitting is amazing!
    xoxo Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  22. How wonderful to be able to get married in those beautiful gardens. I so enjoy your tours of New York and your photos and description of Central Park are wonderful. Thank you!

    I hope all the drilling stops soon. I can imagine how irritating it must be.

    Your knitting is amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shirts and ties - yes, I see it!! Clever you - the pattern is lovely.
    Your photos of Central Park give us, as always, a sense of the green peace you find there in spring and in autumn. Thank you for all the close-ups. I agree with the others who think the flowers are Japanese Anemones - so pretty.
    I hope the drilling is finally over and that you find your accustomed tranquility at home again.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always enjoy your walks in the park – it is such a lovely park and huge too. When one has been there they can understand how vital this park is for the New Yorkers. I hope that drilling will stop soon, how disturbing that must be. I do see ties and shirts in your photo – your work is so delicate and the colors always harmonious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Frances. Loved the NYC photos. I didn't get there this summer. I generally try to avoid NY in summer. Must get down now that the weather is cooler. Your knitting is beautiful.
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete