Sunday, May 1, 2016

City Views, Country Dreams

Happy May Day from New York on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

I'm going to be staying indoors, because it is pretty soggy outside; however, I do want to share some random city view photographs I took while the sun was bright yesterday.

I recently showed you all yellow tulips blooming along Park Avenue.  Over here on the west side, we also have some interesting plantings along Broadway's median areas.  These tulips are fully bloomed, but still carry some drama.


The ranunculas and pansies have been planted in window boxes decorating the front of a neighborhood Chase Bank.  I am pleased to report that they have been allowed to do their flowering performance without any pedestrian tampering.


Looking westward, I was struck by the mixed architectural angles.  It's very shady along that block.


Continuing on, a yellow cab and I passed by the local Apple shop.  Last week was a tough one for Apple stock, but the shop did look busy, if not frantically so.


The next photograph is included to reveal that there are many empty retail spaces along the city avenues.  This is a large space that has an indoor public space with tables and chairs at its entrance, created as a tax trade off to allow the building to be very tall.  The restaurant that was behind the public space closed well over a year ago.  There is a separate entrance to the luxury residential cooperative apartments that are in the upper floors.


It was not very warm yesterday afternoon.  That did not stop some from lining up for ice cream.


Lots of flats of bright annual flowering plants were on offer at this small Saturday farmers market.  Many buildings do have balconies, roof gardens, or other spots to plant these lovelies.


This is the time of year when lilacs are on offer.  Although lilacs are beautiful, I always associate them with hay fever season.  They catch and carry windblown tree pollen very well.


I couldn't resist taking a picture of this little cutie speeding down the sidewalk on her scooter.  Dad was managing to keep up with her.


Several years ago, rent-a-bike stands began to appear around the city.  The locations of these stands have increased quite a bit.  Delivery truck drivers and folks wishing to find curbside parking places are not thrilled by these bike stands.

Now, we are about to witness the operational launch of these wi-fi kiosks, that seem to be intended to replace most (but not yet all) of the old pay phones.  


I've lived in this neighborhood for over 30 years.  It is fascinating to contemplate how much change has occurred.  What's next!

It's now time for me to fix myself a little lunch, and get back to my current knitting project.  I've been commissioned to make something special.  I can say no more.

Thank you all so much for your visits and comments.  Let's have a grand time celebrating the arrival of May.

29 comments:

  1. Oh Frances, it is so beautiful in the city. I am surprised though at the empty retail spaces. I guess I thought there wouldn't be any. In small cities, empty businesses are rife, but I didn't think so in NYC. It has rained for days here so it was nice to wake up to sunny skies. Happiest start of May to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, this is a grand time to walk around the city, before the heat really arrives at the end of May.
      Yes, there are lots of empty storefront spaces, and somehow the landlords seem to be able to "afford" to keep the spaces empty for ages after they've raise the rent.
      xo

      Delete
  2. Happy May Day Frances. In France we would be giving Lily of the Valley bunches to our neighbours today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I spoke with my Mom a few days ago on her 98th (!) birthday, and she said her Lily of the Valley blooms were really good this year, and that she'd given a bouquet to a friend.

      What a lovely way to celebrate May Day. xo

      Delete
  3. Happy May Day Frances. Good to share some NY views with you today x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina. I often seem to forget to take my camera along when I go for a walk. I'd been meaning to take photographs of those Broadway tulips for weeks, since they first bloomed.
      xo

      Delete
  4. Lovely NY photos and all that colour.How is the retirement going?Well,I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your comment, beejay. I assure you that retirement and I are getting along very well. I still cannot quite believe that I've got this new freedom. xo

      Delete
  5. Frances, you always find the colour in the city! I loved the yellows today - and the pops of red. You have me wondering about your commission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pondside, all the photographs in this post were taken during a quick walk around the neighborhood, knowing that the rain was going to fall today. I didn't want to miss capturing some of the late spring colors.

      I cannot say more now about the commission, other than it is a pleasure to create.

      xo

      Delete
  6. Happy May Day Frances. What beautiful views of flowers in the city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bright colors of these city flowers really to give a boost to the spirits! xo

      Delete
  7. More interesting than ever - I really had the feeling I was next to you, walking in the city! The need for colours somehow increases in spring.:) We have the same flowers here and I will buy new ones for the balcony probably next week.
    Hope the sun will invite you outdoors soon. Have a lovely new day, Frances!:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, Rossichka, how sometimes just taking a few random photographs on a walk can have interesting results.
      Still overcast and a bit drizzly today, but I will definitely not be staying indoors all day. Yesterday was enough! xo

      Delete
  8. Those lilacs look stunning. Mine are nowhere near flowering yet.
    Another beautiful walk around a beautiful city.
    Thank you Frances.
    Hugs from The UK-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sheila. Since yesterday, it's gone very grey and damp over here, but even this sort of weather can provide some good city views to photograph. xo

      Delete
  9. You are very observant and take interesting shots. I feel I was alongside you! Lilacs always make me remember the opening line of TS Elliot's The Waste Land poem, now, I must go and find my copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trish, glad that you enjoyed the walk. Now, you have reminded me of the poem also. I'll have a search for my copy, too. xo

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful walk.
    The Lilacs look so interesting and beautiful. It is not a flower I have ever seen growing in person.
    Love when you add some of the buildings in your photos. Gives me a feeling of where you live.

    cheers, parsnip and thehamish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parsnip, lilacs are available in several shades, including white. Somehow, I refer the "lilac" color best of all.
      Thanks for mentioning the building shots, too. I like giving a sense of the tall and short of NYC. It is truly a mix. xo to you and thehamish

      Delete
  11. Hi Frances,

    I enjoyed your walk. There are so many flowers to be enjoyed in NY already. The same in Rotterdam. There are carpets of spring flowers everywhere I look. Wishing you a Happy month of May too.

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Madelief, it suddenly seems to really be flower show time. I must remember to keep my camera battery charged, and to take the camera with me. I never know when I will see something interesting.
      I'm sure that you are really beginning to enjoy working in your own garden. xo

      Delete
  12. I love your new york pictures! And i love may day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great time of the year, isn't it? Even if it's raining again today...good for those flowers and vegetables. xo

      Delete
  13. Cold and hot all mixed up here too. I didn't know that about lilac. I will bring some in anyway because the bush is at the end of the garden and I don't catch the scent very often. May is such a glorious month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucille, I'm hoping that the rain that is continuing will wash away some of the tree pollen. At this time of year, flower stands often offer peonies together with lilacs...and that combination is very difficult to resist...even if sneezing arrives later! xo

      Delete
  14. Happy belated May Day to you, Frances! You know where we've been so I know I don't have to make my excuses.
    May I also say how very sad I was to hear the news about Prince - I was a huge fan and was lucky to see him in concert twice. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the May Day greetings, Chris.
      How fortunate you were to see Prince perform...twice.
      I've been to a great exhibit over at the Met today, and have many photographs to download for yet another blog. xo

      Delete
  15. Dearest Frances, just catching up after a long time - and so pleased to see how busy you are with baking and knitting and getting out and about and enjoying your well deserved retirement. Thank you so much for your good wishes on my blog - though of course, you were one of the very few secret people to know! xx

    ReplyDelete