Monday, May 22, 2017

City Views, Country Dreams

Good Monday morning from New York.

It's a bit cool and rainy today, but at the weekend the sun was shining and I noticed that some new sculptures have appeared along the median malls along upper Broadway.


This large bronze mother and child sculpture is by Joy Brown and has been installed at the West 71st Street exit of the 72nd Street subway station.


It is possible to find out more about this public art project by having a look at the Broadway Mall Association link here.  The following photo shows the Joy Brown sculpture on the mall at Broadway and 79th Street.  Its curves seem to echo the architecture of the Baptist Church in the background.


I'm still probably spending far too much time trying to keep up with various current event developments, but thought I would share with you a photo of a painting I completed towards the end of the last century.  I am thinking of getting out the oils again this summer when it will be possible to keep my bedroom/studio window open without fear of a pollen attack.  I am posting more photos of old paintings on my Instagram page.


Thank you all for your visits and comments on my prior post with the pictures from the Met exhibit.  I will be getting back there eventually for another look and more photographs.

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful. You feel you could almost pick up the china cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elizabeth. I've painted lots of tea cups and saucers over the years! xo

      Delete
  2. I agree totally with Elizabeth Frances. I scrolled down expecting there to be another photo as that china cup was just so lifelike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Weaver...that was an attempt at a bit of humor. Quick change artist, perhaps. Thhank you so much for your comment. xo

      Delete
  3. Oh My Goodness, what a lovely post today.
    The painting of the cups are just wonderful. I must find the time to start instagram but everything has be very awful here.

    Off to see your paintings now !
    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Parsnip. I have quite a few old teacups and saucers, and some egg cups, too. I used to paint them in various still life settings, and am contemplating some more soon.
      (I definitely need to do some blog visiting soon, too!) xo

      Delete
    2. I am Back...
      What is so wonderful about your painting is the fact you paint the lovely backgrounds that make it even more magical.

      Delete
    3. Thank you again, dear Parsnip! xo

      Delete
  4. I like your use of colour every time Frances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rachel, thank you so much. There are so many different ways to play with color...all enjoyable. Just walking through the Park yesterday and realizing how very green (with so many shades) it has become in a week was a joy to behold. xo

      Delete
  5. The painting is so pretty and the top cup so delicate looking. Not sure about the sculptures I find them hard to understand.
    Enjoy your week.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hazel. I appreciate your comment very much.

      It was interesting for me to find out a bit more about the sculptor Joy Brown, and to learn that she'd lived in Japan. It's been interesting to see the reactions of passersby, particularly children. xo

      Delete
  6. I think it's a wonderful painting and you definitely should 'play' around with them this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Promise I will, Donna. It's been fun to share some of the oldies over on IG and to see folks' reactions. xo

      Delete
  7. The sculptures are fabulous and I love your oil paintings. I look forward to seeing what you paint this summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina, for the encouragement. It's been years since I sort of set the oil painting to the side. xo

      Delete
  8. The sculptures are amazing and very interesting. I MUST start with my painting again, I miss it...
    Friday and I wish you the best of weekends Frances!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see your comment, dear Titti. I also thought the sculptures quite interesting. Hoping you will re-start painting...we can check in with each other on how that progresses. Happy Weekend! xo

      Delete
  9. I love your painting -- and it makes me want to get out MY oils again,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vicki. Please do get out your oils. We can have a painterly summer! Hoping you did click over to my IG page where I have been posting lots more old paintings. xo

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words very much, Linda!

      Delete
  11. The View from 256 ..... I'd go into the City (as New Yorkers call it, for there is only ONE city that matters) to visit .... City Views, Country Dreams.
    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete