Friday, October 27, 2017

City Views, Country Dreams

Good afternoon from New York on a lovely late October day.

It's been quite a while since my last post, and I am delighted to report that the street repairs on my block were finally completed.  It's been a relief to have normal peace and quiet restored.



The relative quiet has made it easier for me to concentrate on some fair isle knitting.  Some of you all may have noticed that I have added some tubular cowls and fingerless mitts to my Foakley Arts Etsy.com shop.


Chillier weather is gradually settling in, and it's been interesting to see changes occurring over in Central Park every time I take a walk there.


The Park's lawns are still beautifully green, and at last some of the tree leaves are beginning to change their colors.





Sitting on a bench with an ice cream cone no longer seems as appealing as popping into a cafe for a coffee or hot chocolate.


I am still quite devoted to weekly trips to the farmers market, and recently based a little watercolor card, painted for a friend, on a string of hearts plant purchased at the Union Square Farmers Market.


Here is photo of some of the mitts I recently completed.


Pumpkins of all shapes, sizes and colors are appearing around town. Lots of orange on display.


The above photo was taken at the Union Square Farmers Market.  The following photo was taken at a much smaller Farmers Market held in on a triangular park just diagonally across from Lincoln Center's theaters and plaza.



Here is yet another sample of my recent knitting.  Knitting has proved a good method for staying calm while still staying up to date with increasingly worrying current events.


Some houses in my neighborhood have begun decorating for Halloween.


Yesterday was a very overcast day, which seemed to cause certain colors to became accented.  I decided to take a walk over to the Park to check on how the changing leaf colors were coming along.


At several intersections I was puzzled to see these large, heavy barricades on the sidewalk corners.


They did not seem to be arranged in the same way on each of the corners, and I wondered why they had been placed there.  Typically, around New York, similar barricades that might be deployed as a way to impede motor vehicles heading on to sidewalks (either accidentally or intentionally in our new normal) are somehow decorated to be a bit easier on the eyes.  That usual barricade placement is also different from what I saw yesterday.


As I continued my walk, I began to notice a series of colored signs posted at intervals along the sidewalk.  Aha!  That told me that some film crews were at work somewhere nearby.  I thought that part of their schedule might involve temporarily stopping regular traffic on some streets, so that the film crews could put down tracks for the cameras to roll on.  Those barricades might be put to work.


I continued to walk, and entered the Park, discovering that additional film crews seemed to be using several Park locations.


Perhaps because of the dark sky, and chilly, damp air, the Strawberry Fields mosaic had not drawn its usual crowds, so I stopped to take a photo.  I don't remember ever before taking a photo in this area.


My curiosity lead me over to the old Band Shell area, where the trees were glowing, and lots of equipment was in use, and also standing by for future use. 


One of my friends has been involved in filming a major movie recently, making use of some locations near where I live.  I am always hoping to come upon one of these shoots.


I had no such luck yesterday, and actually was not able to discover just what was being filmed.  I think it was for a television program.


The above scene seemed to involve some sort of mugging encounter.  I witnessed several "takes," and got the impression that more would be required.

Should I eventually discover what was being filmed, I will update this post.  Until then, this increasingly lazy blogger thanks you all for your visits and comments.  I will endeavor to be better at visiting your posts.  Wishing you all a very Happy Halloween!

Update...what was being filmed in the above photo was a scene from Instinct, a new tv show starring and produced by Alan Cumming.

I am horrified to update this post after this afternoon's downtown terrorist attack.  It now seems as if those NYPD sidewalk barriers might well have been a proactive attempt to prevent a similar attack.  What a world.

57 comments:

  1. Hello Frances, so good to see you today. Your Fairisle gets increasingly lovely and increasingly complex, you are so talented. I love the colour mixes that you use.
    In Cornwall we are constantly aware of film crews around, mostly doing Poldark scenes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, lovely to see your comment and its compliment. Yes, one can get a bit blasé about film crews. And yet, it's still fun to discover your neighborhood will be shared. Even hereabouts and on IG. xo

      Delete
  2. we arrive in New York on Wednesday! Can you suggest anything to do which is not just touristy ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, truly one reason that I ventured back over here for a bit of a catch up was realizing it would about time for you and the Prof visiting NYC. Glad to report that the weather has now turned truly autumnal, instead of its recent habit of flirting with summer warmth.
      It's a great time to visit.
      You'l know how much I love Central Park...it's big enough to absorb both locals and visitors. The High Line may have gotten too popular for its own good, but still...if you all start you walk there on a weekday morning, think that you will get an appreciation of what we all hoped it might continue to be. Don't miss The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Union Sq Farmers Market (best on Wed, Fri or Sat) is a delight...great for people, dog, and produce watching. I'll think of more, promise. Know that I am at least a month behind on your brilliant posts. xo

      Delete
  3. Thank you. My email is jgsheffield@hotmail.com if you can add anything x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frances, I do miss your posting and view of NY. What exquisite knit work. Unbelievable in fact. Can't imagine how you get such designs. I bet you see film crews and actors all the time. Don't stay away so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you, Donna. During certain seasons, it's not unusual to see lots of filming going on. Lots of commercials, movies and television shows. xo

      Delete
  5. Trump Tower is very close to Central Park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just a couple of blocks from the SE end of the Park. TT is next door to Tiffany's and was built on the site of a fine old shop, Bonwit Teller, that Trump demolished. Even though DT doesn't currently live there, that part of Fifth Avenue is still very fortified, and a real problem for city buses and other vehicles. Sad.

      Delete
  6. HOw good to hear from you again.Your knitting is amazing.I just love those mitts.I was getting very worried about you as we haven't heard from you for a while.Thank goodness you are ok.Lots of love from North Wales.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. It's just been a very busy time for me away from the laptop, and I also admit to being attracted to Instagram. xo

      Delete
  7. I do miss your posting but anytime you feel you have the time at least 4 times a year will be wonderful.
    Your time seems to be filled with wonderful things.
    Your knitting is beautiful. I love the colors you use.
    The card is wonderful, I love your handling of color and brush work.
    I had a String of Heart plant once but lost it in a move. Thank You for helping me remember.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment...hoping you received the email I sent you this week.
      Promise to find time to get caught up on your posts before too long... xo

      Delete
  8. Wonderfully intricate knitting.
    Thanks for more views of life in NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Fair isle knitting offers endless possibilities to play with colors. I notice how the colors I choose are often inspired by what I see on my walks. xo

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Howdy Rachel. I was determined to create a new blog post before Halloween! xo

      Delete
  10. Hi Francis, I don't often comment on posts, but read lots including yours and love to see again some of the places I visited a few years ago when my son was working there. He is in NY as we speak as a special birthday treat and I know he has been having a wonderful week.
    Love those fingerless mitts and the colours you use. Regards Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you took time to write this comment. Hoping your son is enjoying this NYC visit. Tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon is supposed to be a real rainy soaker, but today's weather is lovely. Rainy days are good for knitting, but bright sunlight allows me to see the yarns' colors more accurately! xo

      Delete
  11. It´s pumpintime Frances! Also here in Sweden! Love to see your citywiews :)
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Titti. pumpkins are on view all over the place! I must find time to visit your beautiful sight...I miss visiting your Sweden views. xo

      Delete
  12. So lovely to find a new post! You are such a talented person and your knitting is amazing. I usually love Sept. & Oct. but this has been such a strange autumn with much too hot weather. Things have taken a stormy turn this morning and I'm afraid that the leaves will just blow off before they even turn colour.
    A lot of TV & Film production goes on in Toronto and my neighbourhood is quite a popular one so we often see crews at work. If you watched "The Handmaid's Tale" it was all filmed here and the famous bridge scene is about 2 minutes from my apt. and a favourite spot to walk.
    Hope to see more posts soon - take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margie, thank you for continuing to comment. It was having my filming scavenger hunt that prompted me to take time to post this before the end of October. I never quite meant to be so long between posts.
      My friend who does "key grip" work for film and tv has told me about how much filming is done in Toronto. Although i read The Handmaid's Tale way back when it was published, I did not watch any of the film version. Perhaps some day...and I will keep an eye out for that bridge. xo

      Delete
  13. Lovely to catch up with life in NY through your blog Frances. Your knitting is exquisite xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Gina. I'll try not to leave it so long before my next post. xo

      Delete
  14. Oh what a lovely surprise to see your interesting post Frances. I remember seeing the Imagine mosica and a man was playing a guitar my daughter told me I should not have took a picture of him. Wonderful memories of a brief lovely few days. Your fair isle is beautiful you are so talented, enjoy your days ahead. Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hazel. It's funny that to admit that I'd never taken a picture of that mosaic area before. It's usually just too crowded! I appreciate your kind words. xo

      Delete
  15. I returned from New York yesterday and as always loved my visit . I was fortunate enough to see La Boheme at the Met . I enjoy reading your posts about New York.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You picked a wonderful time of the year to visit this city. Thank you so much for your kind words.

      Delete
  16. Welcome back! I loved seeing your little painting and also your beautiful knitting. And I'm glad for you that the noisy work is over. But New York is never a very quiet place I don't imagine. When I was younger, and we lived in Connecticut, I was always so grateful for the quiet of the countryside after a day in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thank you for your compliments. It's funny but aside from those street repairs, my street is usually really quiet. I am fortunate that the apartment building where I live is old enough to have thick walls. xo

      Delete
  17. I check in here regularly so was so pleased to see your Fall update. I'm glad the noise has abated now but yes what a shame to be daily reminded that people mean us harm. I was evacuated from London Bridge station the other day for a terror alert. Thankfully it turned out to be a practice but it was chilling. We often see Loc signs in pink yellow and green near a park. I hardly ever find out what they are filming though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucille, so good to see your comment. Today was a drizzly day for the NYC Marathon, but I ventured over to the Park, just to show some sort of solidarity, and actually got a view of the two winning male runners just a few seconds from their reaching the finish line. (Posted some photos over on instagram.com/fgoakley.)
      xo

      Delete
  18. Frances i have finally found a minute to visit blogland again and how lovely it is to find and touch base with your lovely blog again. There are some horrendous happenings in the world just now. I am glad you are well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Posy, for visiting and leaving a comment. While I do continue to keep a close eye on news events, I am also now entering into residence in Santa's workshop. Painting cards and also knitting gifts. (Anything to keep away from housework!) xo

      Delete
  19. I came to your post via a mention on Fan My Flame-and on reading some posts saw you had a book of Winifred Nicholson's art…I have not managed to see any exhibits of her art (I live in Canada)- however on a trip to the UK visiting the Tate I treated myself to a copy of a book put out by the National Gallery of Scotland --Winifred Nicholson in Scotland - it is a delightful book. Jean Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've seen the book that you bought and agree that it's a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS Frances...
    GOD JUL from Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the Christmas wishes, Titty. May you have a fabulous New Year! xo

      Delete
  22. Merry Christmas Frances! Wishing you peace and joy, good health and good friends to share with, happy memories and more beautiful blogging. Cheers from the snowy north!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely message. I wish you and yours a very Happy New Year, filled with lots of creativity! xo

      Delete
  23. Happy New Year Frances; I'm a bit late! Cro x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very Happy 2018 to you, too, Bro.

      My new year so far is a bit too full with stressful matters. Will blog again eventually. xo

      Delete
  24. Haven't been here for ages, so sorry! Happy New Year, dear Frances! May it be full of exciting events, lovely days, health, smiles and inspiration! Hope you are doing well!xx
    I began to blog again. Hope to be more serious this year.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Rossichka. My 2018 is off to a bit of a stressful start. Hope to be blogging again before too long. xo

      Delete
    2. Hope everything gets back to normal soon!xx

      Delete
  25. Hello France's, I hope you re well.
    Hazel c uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hazel, I am well, but dealing with a combination of stressful matters. Hope to post again soon. xo

      Delete
    2. Glad to read you are well and life settles down soon for you.
      Hazel c uk

      Delete
  26. I hope that things settle down soon and that you are able to post occasionally - I find the information, photos and your thoughts on life so lovely - really something to look forward to. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It’s really a great and helpful piece of information. I am happy that you simply shared this helpful information with us.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete