Tuesday, March 17, 2015

City Views, Country Dreams

Happy St. Patrick's Day from a very breezy New York.



The gentle early morning rain was blown out to sea in time for the Fifth Avenue parade to begin at the scheduled 11 a.m.

I did not walk through the Park to Fifth Avenue until around noon, knowing that I might miss the first parading units that had started out about two miles downtown.  Still, it's a very long parade and after visiting it for many decades, I know it's not required to see the entire thing.


The above photograph shows how sparse the gathered onlookers were along this part of Fifth Avenue.  The crowds are much thicker in the midtown area of the parade route.  Many onlookers wore a bit of green.  The barricade above the building in the background will still be wearing green tomorrow.  The workers working up there might or might not miss the parade tomorrow.

Luxurious apartment buildings are on the east side of the Avenue; Central Park is on the western edge.


Some parade watchers dressed very nattily.  Many beautiful knits were on display.


The wind was quite strong and varied in its velocity, and clearly made the task of getting these decorative banners up the parade route a very tricky business.


More beautiful sweaters.  More workers working above.


Marching groups were from local schools, universities, international schools, and various municipal workers' groups and Irish organizations.


I'd picked a lucky spot to stand because each of the marching bands actually played tunes while passing by, rather than taking a break.


The banners always interest me.  They are usually followed by a group of folks who are from that part of Ireland.  Some of these folks might now live here, but some will have come over just for this parade.


Truly, I do admire the strength of the folks who are entrusted with these banners.


Lots of bagpipers.  Lots of kilts.


Beautiful horses wearing green.  


Marching nuns.


Another banner.


Here's a clever jacket design for the occasion.


The green street sign, indicating a nearby school, will be there again tomorrow, and the days after that, too.


Lots of green hats.  The gentleman had also dyed his eyebrows and mustache green.


More knitting on display.


This family's knitwear and tweed caps were exceptionally fine.


More pipers and kilts and hats.


I am always impressed by the lettering on the bass drums, and by the stamina of the drummers.


This couple must have been freezing...or perhaps they had their love to keep them warm.


Various souvenirs were available, for a price.


This gentleman was having difficulty keeping his hat on.


Yet another banner.


And another.


This line of marchers filled the width of the Avenue.


More shades of green.  With a touch of orange.


Here's a splendid array of American flags.


Here's a splendid array of green berets, worn by a group of marching firefighters who were taking a brief break.


As these pipers came by, the sun came out from behind those clouds.


Another finely decorated drum, lovely tartans and fine foot gear.  In the background is the beautiful Frick Gallery building.


This school band was doing some precise marching.  Clearly, they had been practicing for this big day.


The shadows at these pipers' feet show the sun was still trying to evade the clouds, with the aid of the wind.


More evidence of that wind.


I do believe this banner was from County Wicklow.


These girls had taken a light hearted approach to the wearing of the green.


By the time I took this picture, I had retraced my steps to the 72nd Street entrance to Central Park, and was about to head westward towards home.


Ahh, but another intricately designed banner passed by and I took its picture.


And then I started my walk home.  The light was changing so quickly as the sun and clouds played tag, that I wanted to take a few more photographs.


These folks had also departed the parade in favor of contemplating a classic Park view from the steps leading to Bethesda Fountain.


Suddenly the light brightened, and I wanted to photographs these young folks looking over the stone railing around the same Bethesda Fountain area.


Looking over my shoulder I liked the silhouette of these leafless trees.


And then the clouds danced in and the light flattened out as I saw this carriage go by.


 I could not resist this self indulgent photograph of some yarn I'd draped over a branch on my way to the parade.  Some of the other yarn was already gone.  Perhaps blown away.


You all can tell from the thick clouds that the light was again changing.  I find this northerly view of the still somewhat frozen lake indicates a mood very different from that of the day's Fifth Avenue festivities.


I'm hoping that you all have enjoyed seeing a bit of what New York looked like on this 2015 St. Patrick's Day.  Perhaps next year some of you might visit the parade in person.

Meanwhile thank you for your visits and wonderful comments on my previous post.  It's grand to have comments from new visitors.

44 comments:

  1. Your photos are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda...please do visit here again.

      Delete
  2. What a windy day! You must have been cold, but worth it to see such a different array of banners, and clothing too! The Arran sweaters worn by one family were particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, when the wind didn't blow, it actually was a mildish sort of day. But oh...that wind! It was fun to see so many Arran styles. xo

      Delete
  3. I never knew that St Patricks day was such a big thing in NY. I love the way you have been knitting spotting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, March 17 is a very big thing over here. Even folks like myself, who cannot vouch for any Irish ancestry, get into the spirit.

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous parade.i especially love the knitwear and the amazing banners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina, it would have been fun to have seen the parade with you. The knitting was so varied, on young and old. And those banners really are something else. Of course, the music was good, too! xo

      Delete
  5. Thank you Frances. It's almost like being there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina. There truly is something for everyone at this parade! xo

      Delete
  6. Thank you for braving the weather to show us this famous parade. I love those banners -- and the spectators are wonderful too. I also loved that last picture of the quiet lake with the buildings in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I appreciate your comments so much. It was a fine day for the parade...aside from that pesky wind. Some years the marchers have had to endure snow! xo

      Delete
  7. That was a great St Patrick’s Day Parade in windy New York! I felt I was there with you as you showed us such good photos. I had never heard of St Patrick’s Day in France although now because of TV and all, pubs in French larger cities have started to celebrate it but it is not very big yet.
    In Atlanta the parade started in 1858 – one of the oldest in the country I hear. This year the St Patrick’s Day Parade in Atlanta had the Prime Minister of Ireland, Mr. Enda Kenny as the Grand Marshal and the Irish Ambassador to the US, Anne Anderson, as a special guest. In Savannah they have a huge parade – they say it is the second largest one, after New York City – wish we could have driven there, but had to take my husband to hospital for a test.
    I enjoyed looking at all the beautiful Aran sweaters you noticed and photographed. I started knitting one for my husband when we were engaged, then I forgot the pattern and it is still unfinished … Of course yesterday it was 78 F here in Atlanta and 88 F in Savannah – so no sweater weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vagabonde, it's interesting to learn about the Savannah and Atlanta parades. I think that the Irish dignitaries must have preferred the weather in Georgia. (Interestingly, our own Mayor did not participate in the parade, as part of an ongoing controversy about allowing gay organizations to march.

      xo

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your wonderful post capturing the atmosphere of the St Patrick's Day parade for us, dear Frances! I enjoyed seeing it all, and getting a feel of New York......the banners were colourful and interesting to see, and I could almost hear the bands :) I am glad you had some sunshine too.
    Have a great week.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, the wind is still a blowing today...I think it's on its way over to your country! Friday's the official beginning of Spring, and we actually have just a touch of snow in the forecast. Good grief!

      Hoping that someday you'll be able to see the parade in person. xo

      Delete
  9. - Wonderful photographs of the parade - loved all the kilts and those horses wearing the green. Would have loved to have been there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always so much to see and enjoy at this parade. I'm glad you enjoyed my photographs.

      Best wishes.

      Delete
  10. Hi Frances! What a lovely parade you are showing us, we dont celebrate St Patrick´s Day so much here in Sweden...
    It´s a pity because it seems like an happy day!
    Great pictures too Frances.
    Warmly,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Titti, it was a pleasure to share the fun of the parade with you...all the way to Sweden! xo

      Delete
  11. As always, I’ve had my fill of NYC’s St Patrick’s Day Parade via you, dear Frances. What a lot of Irish there must be in NYC.

    Nothing happens around here; perhaps there’s stuff going on in the big cities, but I’ve never noticed.

    I wonder, do you make use of the special celebration by dressing up yourself? Or maybe imbibing a little Irish cheer in the form of stout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots and lots of folks get to be Irish for a day...and to join in the celebrating. It was interesting to learn from Vagabonde's comment that there are also large celebrations down south in Georgia.

      I did were one of my fair isle knit slouchy berets, knit in a combo of greens and greeny blues...and managed to keep it on my head throughout the hours of swirling winds.

      Friko, I completely forgot to have any stout...but guess I could order that on another day, too. xo

      Delete
    2. Friko, of course, I did "wear" and so forth.

      Delete
  12. A fabulous display of plaids and bagpipes, banners,flags and , did I even spy marching Nuns? What fun! This would be a grand site to behold. I've always loved men in kilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeri, I couldn't resist a photograph of those nuns!

      xo

      Delete
  13. I always enjoy your seasonal celebration posts so much. I was glad to see the snow had vanished but perturbed to learn from your comment that more snow is forecast. Ido hope it doesn't settle. I am going to take up your charming idea of supplying wooly jumpers for the birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lucille. I do enjoy sharing some of our NYC celebrations with you all.

      Yes...about four inches of snow fell yesterday, but we have hopes that today's sun will efficiently melt it all by this afternoon.

      I do love the idea of birds having the opportunity to add som colors to their nests, although I expect that they will wisely prefer neutral shades to camoflage their nurseries. xo

      Delete
  14. Love your photo's of the St Patrick's day parade Frances. Looks like a perfect day in NY!

    Happy weekend!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madelief, it was a joy to see all the smiles along Fifth Avenue. xo

      Delete
  15. The knitwear reminded me of our holidays in the west of Ireland where we saw some beautiful work.
    I'm always interested to see how many people attend the seasonal celebrations in your city - but I don't know how the couple in your photos withstood the cold in t-shirts! I would have been looking at the jumpers with even more longing by then! Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, the location that I chose for Parade viewing was about eight blocks away from the actual end of the Parade's route, so the crowds were not at all as thick as they appeared down in the midtown area.

      I think that some of the marchers were looking forward to that first glimpse of the finishing line...perhaps you can appreciate that feeling better than I can! xo

      Delete
  16. I can just feel that New York wind! But all those touches of green made it seem almost springlike. Thanks for giving us these glimpses into the spirit of the parade. I always enjoy your excursions - you make me feel as though I were there (although I was on a plane that day, and there was no hint of St. Patrick's day except for a few green t-shirts!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, this weekend we returned to even colder weather. Spring is being quite shy.

      We remain patient, while we continue to layer up our clothing. xo

      Delete
  17. It looks like a great parade. And I do so love a marching band. Thank you for bringing New York across the ocean to me Frances ... I almost feel I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was my pleasure to share some of the parade scene with you all, Annie. Maybe next year I will show what it looks like as it passes through the busy midtown part of NYC, or even how the staging of the parade at its starting point. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me gustan mucho las fotos de los árboles y el cielo.
    Geniales.
    ¡Abrazos para ti!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do enjoy your parade posts Frances! There can't be anything quite like a New York parade. When I saw the shot of the Frick I was taken back nearly 40 years to the only visit I've ever made and was reminded of how much I enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pondside, the Frick really is a gem. Like many another NYC institution, it is due for some sort of architectural enlargement.

      I have always thought that part of its charm was its scale and the very individual taste of the collection.

      xo

      Delete
  21. I agree with Gina - that is a whole family of excellent Aran knitwear. It looks as though the atmosphere is really wonderful Frances.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Emma, thanks for your visit and comment. There were so many other family groups with gorgeous sweaters. Some were traditional patterns, knit in darker natural tones of wool. I was so glad when that one particular family obliged my wishing to take their portrait.

    Bravo to you on your recent major project for Red Nose Day. Also...your new sewing endeavor shows that particularly unique silverpebble touch. xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had no idea that St Patrick's Day was such a big deal in NYC. Very interesting reading and interesting images - love the banners and all the knits.
    Wishing you a very Happy Easter!
    xoxo Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Ingrid...it's quite a big deal.

      This Sunday's Fifth Avenue Easter Parade is yet another big deal...more of a random promenade than a parade. If the weather is a bit warmer than it is today (Wednesday) my camera and I will take a stroll over to take a peek.

      Happy Easter to you. xo

      Delete
  24. Thank you Frances I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with you to view the St Patrick's Day parade!
    The banners are beautiful and the "Wearing of the Green' is still alive and well in New York.
    My father was born in Ireland and in June this year my husband and I are visiting for the first time!
    I loved seeing the beautiful knitwear!
    I always enjoy my visits to your 'City Views' posts!
    Shane x

    ReplyDelete