Friday, May 15, 2015

City Views, Country Dreams

Good morning from New York.

May 2015 has been so kind to us, bringing gentle warmth and clear blue sky, day after day.  The flowering of Central Park picked up its pace and the green leaves deepened their hues.


As I walked along, I realized that iris season had pretty much come and gone since my last Park stroll.  However, there were still plenty of colors on display.  Lots of birds strutting around, looking for snacks.  


The birds were too busy to pose for any photographs, but the dandelions obliged me.


Funny to glimpse these plastic beads hanging from a tree.  I didn't see any of the yarn scraps I'd left amongst various branches and hope that they are now parts of various nests where young families might be hatched.


As usual, Bethesda Fountain's plaza was drawing a crowd.  Some musicians are always playing there, and its pleasant to sit by the Lake or even rent a rowboat.


What particularly drew me to the Park on that afternoon was the possibility of finding some fully blooming wisteria.   I knew that there was a large wisteria arbor just behind the old Band Shell.


I caught a glimpse of some flowering branches and tried to find a pathway to the arbor.  Some pre-summer preparations were underway at the adjacent Summerstage area where all sorts of performances, both free and ticketed, take place in summer months.  These preparations had caused some pathways to be fenced off to flower-seeking pedestrians like myself.


I could not take that winding stairway around the curved edge of the Band Shell.


However, I did persevere and found the way to this beauty.


I could almost imagine myself at Monet's Giverny.  Almost.


The scent was delicious, and hundreds of bees were enjoying the possibilities of the flowers.  There was no fence keeping the bees away, but they graciously shared the space with me.


From such old twisted roots and branches these flowers grow, year after year.  I love the shadows' patterns.


Lots of creative inspiration overhead, too.


I could not resist taking more photographs.


Now that the trees are fully leafy, the Park has a good mix of sun and shade.


This father and son were enjoying a bit of spring softball practice.


I do not think that I saw the son catch a single toss from his dad, so it's good that they continued on with the practicing.  In the background you can glimpse part of what's known as Lilac Walk.


I was delighted to find some of the lilacs were still in extravagant bloom, adding their scent to the spring air.


The shady spots had slowed the blooming progress.  The sunny areas's lilac flowers were a bit past their prime.


I still wanted to take their photograph.


This might have been this toddler's first May.  How wonderful to be introduced to lilacs at such a young age.


My past skin cancer experiences have taught me to cling to the shadows, but you can see many folks have taken to the fully sunlit area of the Sheep Meadow.


Refreshments are available nearby.  One can either sit there and enjoy a meal or a snack, or buy something to take away to a grassy lawn picnic.  Receptacles are available to discourage littering.


Somehow, the city buildings in the hazy background do not seem as appealing as the greenery of the Park.


I am so very fortunate to be able to visit the Park when it is not too crowded.  This past week, however, there have been some crimes committed in the Park during much less populated hours of the day.

Please do remember that this glorious place is in the center of huge city in which many wonderful people live.  It's generally a very safe place to wander, but also wise to use a bit of common sense while wandering.

Thank you all for your visits and comments.  It is a great pleasure to share some city views with you.   



18 comments:

  1. Frances, it is hard to imagine the size of Central park, far larger than English parks I'm sure. What lovely corners you find, especially the Wisteria area.I could grow Wisteria anytime, and did in France where we had much more space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I truly love sharing Central Park via these posts. Wisteria time is quite magical, isn't it? xo

      Delete
  2. The hunt for a path to the wisteria was worthwhile Frances! What a wonderful old plant it is. The lilacs are lovely too - such a lot of purple and mauve and .......lilac........and such a lot of beautiful perfume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pondside, it's fun to watch the overall colorways of the Park change as the weeks fly by. I just had to include some brilliant dandelions to balance all those other soft colors.

      Delete
  3. Love seeing the New York seasons change with your walks in the park. I do find it hard to imagine the huge city beyond its boundarys. I imagine you can forget that the city is there sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to birdsong is so much better than screeching traffic sounds. New York would be a very different place without this Park. xo

      Delete
  4. Sorry to have been absent from the blogosphere for so long. I have visited but not had time to comment. It is always a joy to visit your corner of NY but rather alarming to think that we have had cherry blossom and are into lilacs already. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, the blooming season does seem to have speeded up dramatically. I happy to say that the leaves are still mostly that lovely tender green.

      Earlier this morning we had our first real rain in about 23 days. It was to be welcomed! xo

      Delete
  5. Your seasons are speeding by now the temperatures are warmer! I love your wisteria photos, they reminded me of a Tiffany window, is it the one in the Met?
    It's

    ReplyDelete
  6. ... It's good to see so many people enjoying the park.

    I got interrupted by a silly iPad hiccup!
    C xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Celia, the fantastic Louis C. Tiffany wisteria stained glass is at the Met. It so easy to see how he was insprired when you have a look at these arbors.

      I am just a few pages away from finishing Mr Perry's Playing to the Gallery and have enjoyed it very much. Thank you again for the original introduction.

      xo

      Delete
  7. So nice to see, that spring really find it's way to you! What a great pictures of Central Park, and that wisteria is so beautiful. I loved to walk with you, lovely graatings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolanda, it's grand to have you along for these walks. Sharing Central Park's beauty is a real treat. There are are other well-established wisteria vines around the Park, but most of them had already "bloomed out" before I managed to take that recent walk. I'm delighted that these beauties were at their peak performance. xo

      Delete
  8. Wonderful pictures today, Frances! I loved the park views...I really liked seeing the sheep field with the modern city buildings in the background. And how beautiful the wisteria pictures are, and the lilacs.
    I wish you a very happy week ahead!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helen, I'm so happy to share Central Park's beauty! It's truly an oasis...particularly in springtime. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how very beautiful! And I'm so glad that you persevered in getting to the wisteria -- those shots are heavenly. Monet would be proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Vicki!

      And...for something completely different, I've just post my reporting of yesterday's Dance Parade. xo

      Delete
  11. Lilac and wisteria, two of my favourites! My lovely wisteria suddenly died two years ago and I don't really know why.

    ReplyDelete