Thursday, May 28, 2015

City Views, Country Dreams

Good morning from New York.

I often like to show you all views of special events in New York, but this time around I thought I would show you some views of just one Upper West Side city block.

Let's start with an entrance to the subway system.  The green globe light indicates that the station is open all the time.  

You can also see an old church diagonally across Broadway.  And beautiful blue sky overhead.


If you are in need of a newspaper, magazine, or a candy bar, stop into this shop.  Bud Light is also available.


Are you feeling at all hungry, and perhaps would like a banana (25 cents) or some other fruit or veg, just step over to this stand.  The produce selection changes with the season, but is not from a local farm.


Here's a lovely flower and plant shop that always has an enticing display right out on the sidewalk.


If it's just about lunchtime, and you'd like a bite on the run, this mobile food cart will help you with that appetite.


Should your shoes be a bit down at the heels, Carlos and company will sort you out.  They also have a fine umbrella selection.  I bought a lightweight folding umbrella there several years ago to take on a U.K. visit, and it is still working just fine.


Curbside parking is never easy here in New York, and this plumber is taking a chance by parking next to the fire hydrant.  A fine might be delivered by a Traffic Enforcement Policeman while the plumber is getting his lunch nearby.



The following photograph shows only one half of the store front of the New Wave restaurant, that serves breakfast all day long, but has an especially good value breakfast available early in the morning.

It's a very old-style diner sort of place with counter seating and also cracked leather seating at tables.  It is possible to linger at a table and chat with friends.


A few steps down along this "village" pathway you'll find a place to have your hair trimmed.


If, like myself, you do not have a smart phone and need to make a call, or might be late for a destination and in need of a cab, these services are also available nearby.


What I have attempted to show you all in this post is a group of small businesses that serve a neighborhood well.  New York City can be experienced on a very intimate scale.  Many New Yorkers count their minutes very tightly and rely upon such local conveniences.

Thank you so much for your visits and comments.  As always, it's a pleasure to share a bit of the city with you.

30 comments:

  1. Frances, I always tend to think of NY as having only huge shops. How nice to see such individual stores, so useful if you live nearby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I think that I should show more of these close up views of various parts of the city. It's certainly not all expensive or glamorous...although lots of it seems to be going in that direction.

      xo

      Delete
  2. I've never thought to sing the praises of the smaller stores. It is nice to see them highlighted here. My son is coming to New york. He might need an umbrella. Perhaps I should show him this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucille, do point your son in the direction of my posts. He probably already knows better than to buy any "bargain" umbrella from sidewalk salesmen who show up at the start of inconveniencing rainfall.

      I hope to do some more of these little neighborhood views in the coming weeks.

      (Still considering Instagram, and wondering about the cost of smart phones.) xo

      Delete
  3. I do remember being struck when we visited NY by how it is a very large city divided into small areas. Lovely photos and so interesting Frances.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. Yes, our city is not only composed of five designated boroughs but also many, many smaller informally bounded neighborhoods. Some of these neighborhoods seem to get their names and boundaries from real estate agents these days, as they try to put the prices up. Guess this goes on across the globe.

      xo

      Delete
  4. It was great doing some shopping with you in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jolanda, I am glad you enjoyed strolling along this one short block. As the summer continues, I might showcase some more such local spots.

      xo

      Delete
  5. I should copy your idea round here!
    .....while there are some little shops left!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, sometimes I guess we take what is most familiar to us a bit for granted? I was over on the Upper East Side today, and saw some diner/coffee shops' windows decorated with paintings that reminded me of those in your neighborhoods. Might have been done by the same painter...the name began with a B...but I cannot remember the rest.

      See you soon. xo

      Delete
  6. What a fascinating glimpse into one aspect of your city life, and how lovely to be seeing local stores and not global chains :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, I do hope that these shops have long leases. In recent years, I've noticed quite a few long time shops and restaurants close when the landlords asked huge amounts of money to renew the leases. Some of these store fronts are still empty...some for over a year now. Evolution?

      xo

      Delete
  7. This is a charming glimpse of one street in the city, hope you do more of these, Frances x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Celia, it was fun to stop and take a closer look at something that seems so familiar to me. It dawned on me that folks from other places might find these views interesting.

      I am thrilled to report that I have now seen and purchased Issue 221 of Gardens Illustrated, featuring both your very fine illustration on the last page, but also a very fine photograph of you on the Contributors page. Bravo! xo

      Delete
  8. Great to see a more intimate view of your great city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gina. I'll be dipping into this theme again soon. There are so many possibilities!

      xo

      Delete
  9. Dear Frances, My favorite, the shoe repair shop. How practical is that! I thought that they had disappeared. Thank you for sharing another view of the great city that is New York.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina, we New Yorkers do a lot of walking, and our sidewalks and streets are hard on shoes. Not everyone has a limo! And so, shoe repair shops are numerous.

      xo

      Delete
  10. I have really enjoyed seeing life in your neighbourhood - it looks a really interesting and vibrant place. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Su, I do promise to do some more posts with city views that do focus on my immediate neighborhood. (But I think the next post will feature gorgeous flowers in a special garden over in Central Park.)

      xo

      Delete
  11. How wonderful to see your 'village'! I imagine every great city is a collection of similar villages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I do think that we humans do always find ways to create our version of a village, in whatever the surrounding macro situation might be.

      More neighborhood sampling photographs will appear here. Promise. xo

      Delete
  12. Wow! It´s just like in my little village hi hi! Not all...you have so many nice thing´s around you Frances! I love the countryside but it would be nice to have a little NY round the corner...
    Love,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Titti, I do think it is so interesting to see how "daily life" takes place all around the world. My next post is going to show another beautiful garden area of Central Park...it will seem far away from city sidewalks! xo

      Delete
  13. how I love urban settings - there is just as much beauty as in the countryside in my opinion. I enjoyed my tour, Frances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine that in the space of an hour, hundreds, perhaps even thousands of people will walk along this stretch of sidewalk. It sort of boggles the mind to think of all the individual dramas that might be in play. Yes, there can be beauty in such settings, too.

      Delete
  14. Amazing how many amenities there are in a small area geographically. All these small traders make life possible and allow you to find a gently beating pulse within the enormous beating pulse of the great city.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friko, if I had taken the time to take photographs across Broadway on the sunny side, you would have been treated to many more such small businesses, and a branch of a very large bank! I will try to do more of such neighborhood posts.

      Having my camera with me on that May day allowed me to see more clearly what I tend to take for granted. xo

      Delete
  15. Love seeing these, New York is such a special city, and the 'Frances' view of it is always extra special! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gretel, thanks so much for your comment. I'm still trying to find some city views to share with folks living in very different landscapes. xo

      Delete